Best practice for transanal irrigation (TAI)
This webinar from the Bowel Interest Group (BIG), sponsored by Coloplast, focused on TAI as a timely and cost-effective treatment for chronic constipation.
Consultant Gastroenterologist Professor Anton Emmanuel and Specialist Continence Advanced Nurse Practitioner Carlene Igbedioh discussed the challenges and opportunities associated with TAI treatment including the time taken for patients to commence transanal irrigation (TAI); barriers to introducing TAI; the cost of treatments for chronic constipation; referral to specialist services; patient follow-up, and the impact of COVID-19 on already over-stretched services.
The learning objectives of this webinar are to:
- Acquire a practical understanding of bowel dysfunction
- Identify symptoms and when to consider TAI treatment: Why-When-How
- Understand the TAI treatment algorithm
- Understand the patient journey for TAI including the factors that influence patient selection, training the patient in the technology and techniques to improve adherence to TAI
- Consider rationale and cost implications using BIG’s ‘Bowel Dysfunction Treatment Pyramid ’ to understand points of escalation in the treatment of chronic constipation and associated costs
- Understand how to follow up with the patient and troubleshoot